On the first Saturday in April with traffic controlled by our local constabulary, some lovely old vehicles had right of way to cross the Murchison Bridge. The public were lined up along the roadway, cheering, clapping and waving them on to celebrate the significant milestone of 80 years of the bridge carrying traffic across the waters of the Goulburn at Murchison. It was a lovely sight to see these early vintage cars driving proudly across the bridge and along the main street to the Heritage Centre to join in a morning tea party.
Construction of the bridge started in 1935 and was officially opening on the 31st of March 1937. The Governor of Victoria at the time, Lord Huntingfield, travelled to Murchison by train to officially cut the ribbon and announce the bridge formally open to traffic. Many different events took place over the preceding week in a combined “Back To Murchison” and festivities to mark this historic occasion of the completion of this substantial bridge replacing the deteriorating wooden bridge opened in 1871.
The bridge has served as an important crossing place for 80 years, providing access for traffic travelling through central Victoria both local and further distant, many en-route to interstate destinations.