Some information about the EMILY JANE has recently been supplied from the Buzza family and has meant we can more accurately describe the pictures posted on 15th June 2010 on our website. That photo is actually the second Emily Jane.
FIRST EMILY JANE
The first Emily Jane paddle steamer was designed specifically to service trade on the Goulburn River from Echuca to Seymour. She was built at Wyuna in Thomas Buzza’s saw mill and boat building yard in partnership with Charles Wordsworth and William Rose, to the design of T. Price of Echuca.
She was launched at Wyuna by Simon Fraser M.L.A. , who christened her “Emily Jane” so named after the daughter of Thomas Buzza. The vessel was taken to Echuca to be fitted out with a 9 inch double action horizontal steam engine made by David Munro & Co of Melbourne. Dimensions were: 70.9 x 13.2 x 4.8 feet W 58 tons gross.
On her first journey up the Goulburn, she took 9 hours to come from Mooroopna, arriving in Murchison at 10 pm to the great excitement of the locals. Next day she passed under the new bridge, and travelled on to Day’s Punt site, before returning to Echuca. (Goulburn Advertiser 11thNov. 1875) The last of her infrequent visits to Murchison was reported in Nov. 1878. Registration was closed in 1882, and she was broken up, possibly for use as a barge.
The second and larger Emily Jane was built by Buzza for service on the Murray and Darling Rivers. She was sold in 1888 to W. Bowring and provided service until she was burnt to the water line in 1899 at Wentworth.
The only known image of the first Emily Jane is this oil painting by G. Rathbone.
This copy is courtesy of the Shire of Campaspe